Kelvin Smith Library
1) The library lends external USB Bluray players that can play both Bluray and DVDs.
2) The connection is USB-A (The rectangular shaped one - NOT USB-C the more rounded oval shaped one).
3) DVDs should play fine in the VLC Media Player. https://www.videolan.org/***
4) Blurays require special software. You can find modifications to make VLC work for Blurays. We have also used the LEAWO Bluray player which is free and cross platform. https://www.leawo.org/blu-ray-player.html***
5) This solution only works if the DVD or Bluray can be checked out of the library - this would exclude films that are on reserve.
*** As these are third party companies we cannot warranty or support their use - we just know they work well.
This video gives an overview of what happens when you put a DVD or Bluray in a computer and try to run it with the VLC Media Player.
The units are not in yet, but when they are...
We will be lending a standlone portable DVD/Blueray player with a built in 14" screen and speakers!
This is designed as another "to go" option to be used outside of the library with DVDs/Blurays that can circulate.
Please note: If you want to use the unit - IN- the library you will need to use your own analog headphones.
As always if you have any questions, please email FreedmanCenter@case.edu - we are here to help!