Ask A Librarian
See Ask A Librarian page for additional options.
IMPORTANT NOTE about access to library resources:
Many of the library resources require that your computer be authenticated on the Case network. This means that if your computer is not connected directly to the Case network via ethernet cable, you must authenticate using VPN. If you are off campus or using Case's wireless, you must have VPN installed, running, and logged in on your computer.
The library homepage has a network connection status indicator at the top of the right column. A green light means your campus network connection is active, or a red light means you need to authenticate with VPN. The status indicator looks like this:
More information about using VPN for wireless or remote access can be found on the Case Help site for VPN.
Other Useful Research Guides
- Last Updated Apr 22, 2014
Patent searching and other patent information.
123 views this year
- Last Updated Jan 30, 2014
36 views this year
- Last Updated Jan 30, 2014
Guide to everything and anything needed by chemical engineering students or related to chemical engineering research.
83 views this year
Voice from Chemistry Librarian
- October 2013
- SciFinder now features a new version of the CAS Structure Editor that does not require the use of a Java plugin. The Java version of the editor is still available. For more information on the plugin-free, Non-Java CAS Structure Editor, please visit here.
- June 2013
- The new SciFinder is now available to all authorized users! To see What's New in SciFinder, please click here to learn about the sleek new design and capabilities, and start exploring today.Important Reminder: The new SciFinder does not support Internet Explorer 6. To ensure the best SciFinder experience, please see the recommended browser list in SciFinder Systems Requirements.
- May 2013
- Two online reference titles have been acquired by Kelvin Smith Library.
Handbook of porphyrin science (vol. 1-35).
Vol. 1-25 are published. To access, please search by "Handbook of Porphyrin Science" in the library's catalog under "Title". Here is the link to Volume 1.To learn more about the unpublished volumes, please click here.
- April 2013
The switch between the old and new interfaces of Reaxys is from April 2 to June 1, 2013. After June 1st, only the new interface will be available.
- January 2013
- Three RSC (Royal Society of Chemistry) journals have been added to the collection: Nanoscale (2009-present), Polymer Chemistry (2010-Present), and Soft Matter (2005-present) have been added to our e-journal list.
- October 2012
- A trial has been set up for three RSC (Royal Society of Chemistry) journals: Nanoscale, Polymer Chemistry, and Soft Matter. Access is IP based. Please make sure you have VPN running if you are not on the University's network.Trial will end on Dec 31st, 2012. Access is available for both current and past issues of the three titles. Please click here to access.
- June 2012
- SciFinder Academic Unlimited Access Program now Available
KSL is pleased to announce that Case now has unlimited access to SciFinder. The Academic Unlimited Access Program no longer restricts SciFinder use by concurrent seats. Current students and faculty from all departments at Case can get access to CAS content. Under this program, CAS will provide at least 95 percent access.
- May 2012
- The latest update of SciFinder offers features that boost search convenience. The new features include direct searching of substance properties, converting CAS Registry Numbers® to structures, and convenient preview of substance and reference answer sets with Quick View. For more information, please click here.
- March 2012
- KSL purchased Organic Reactions published by Wiley. Organic Reactions has 74 volumes that collect important synthetic reactions, together with a discussion of the reaction and tables that organize all published examples of the topic reactions. Organic Reactions currently consists of over 140,000 reactions, and will continue to grow annually. Articles can be searched by title, reaction type or chemical structure.J
- February 2012
- New SciFinder features help researchers quickly find substances most relevant to their research
To help you quickly find the substance information most relevant to your research, SciFinder has been enhanced with new bioactivity and target indicator features and substance relevance ranking.To learn more about these features and other enhancements, visit here.
- Elsevier Backfiles Now Available for Search in OhioLINK's EJC
- October 2011
- September 2011
- OhioLINK has purchased the entire Elsevier backfiles. They are not loaded onto OhioLINK servers yet and you can access them directly at the publisher website with VPN connection. For more information about this purchase, please click here.
- August 2011
- The following ebook is now available: A comprehensive guide to the hazardous properties of chemical substances
- April 2011
- Check out the new SciPlanner inside SciFinder :
- February 2011
- We have purchased access to the Angewandte Chemie International backfile.
- SciFinder Scholar client will be shut down on June 30, 2011. Please convert to web version ASAP.
- May, 2010
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics now is online
- April, 2010
- ChemDraw upgrade to ChemBioDraw, check KSL database list.
- Need training for Reaxys, please contact the Chemistry Librarian.